|• Brand||: CHICKASHA I.T.|
|• RL Frog||:|
|• City, State||: CHICKASHA, OK|
|• Graves book||: I50|
IT stands for Indian Territory and OT stands for Oklahoma Territory and predates Oklahoma statehood in 1907. OT was formally recognized from 1890 to 1907 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Okterritory.png
Among Oklahoma's varied and numerous natural resources, raw earth itself might not seem valuable, at first observation. However, deposits of clay and shale, the essential ingredient in brick and tile, are found in almost all of the seventy-seven counties, and most of the substance is suitable for creating some kind of building material. Clay products produced in Oklahoma have included face brick, common brick, paving brick, construction-grade terra cotta tile, drainage tile, plumbing tile, sanitary tile, pottery, and stoneware.
Bricks have historically been one of the state's most important building materials. When true towns began to rise amid the hills and on the prairies in the mid- to late nineteenth century, residents customarily built their stores and homes of wood. Quite often, in both Indian and Oklahoma territories a town's first brick edifice was a bank. In hundreds of communities, "bricks" were erected after entire blocks of wood-frame buildings burned. Because it was fire-retardant, brick became the preferred construction material in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Oklahoma-made brick tended to be either red or dark buff in color, thereby giving character to the main streets of many towns. In addition to residences, churches, and business buildings of brick, a considerable number of barns and other farm structures and grain elevators were constructed of terra cotta tile blocks.
Brick manufacturing was one of the earliest industries to develop during the Territorial Era, providing an economic boost in both territories. Brick may have been manufactured in the Cherokee Nation as early as 1844, when Mormon missionaries in Tahlequah reportedly built a kiln and made bricks to erect a store for Cherokee Chief John Ross, a hotel, and another building. Around 1855 an English stonemason dug local clay and fired bricks for a Presbyterian mission church erected at Boggy Depot, in the Choctaw Nation. The earliest known commercial brick plant appeared in 1888 in Purcell, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory. After the Unassigned Lands opened in mid-1889, small factories cropped up nearly everywhere a town appeared in Oklahoma Territory.http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/B/BR014.html