|• Brand||: GREEN|
|• RL Frog||: F|
|• Maker||: GREEN PRESS BRICK COMPANY|
|• City, State||: FERRIS, TX|
|• Graves book||: I92|
In 1950 Ferris was know as the “Brick Capital” of the Nation. It started with the finding of mineral clay and in 1895, J. T. Hurst formed the Atlas Brick Company. The second plant was Ferris Press Brick Company incorporated April, 1901. The third plant was Globe Press Brick Company organized in 1905. The Lone Star Press Brick Company was in operation prior to 1915. In 1919, W. J. Green established the Green Press Brick Company. The Diamond Press Brick Company, Cole Press Brick Company, and the Kooken Press Brick Company were also formed. Before 1920 rolled around, Ferris was producing 350,000 bricks each day with a capacity to produce 500,000. Bricks were shipped via both rail and wagon. In 1923, six brick companies merged into the Ferris Brick Company. They were Ferris, Globe, Lone Star, Diamond, Cole and Kooken Press Brick Company. Ferris Brick Company, run by Mr. Troy Wilson, was also famous for its show mules. The motto was “We Work Show Mules and We Show Work Mules.” These Ferris Brick Company mules won livestock shows all over the nation. The two mules, Bird and Lottie, became quite a famous pair.